Color psychology is one of the fastest growing field of applied psychology in varied fields.
Have you ever experienced that your surroundings affect your mood and behavior? Some might give you pleasure while some might irritate you as hell. For example: some students complain of getting distracted while studying at home while feel more productive studying in classrooms and library.
We live in a world full of colors; some cool, some warm. Each color has its own significance in terms of what idea it exhibits, and what emotion it produces. COLOR PSYCHOLOGY is a study of affect of different colors on human emotion and behavior since we perceive different colors differently.
MODEL OF COLOR PSYCHOLOGY
There are 6 principles on which color psychology model is based.
- Each color has a specific meaning.
- The meaning of the color is either learned or acquired.
- There is an automatic evaluation of the color by the perceiver.
- After the evaluation, it directs what we call it as color motivated behavior.
- Influence of each color is evaluated automatically.
- Meaning of color and its effect takes into consideration the context/ situation as well.
There are two types of colors: warm colors and cool colors. Warm colors have more wavelength than the cool colors. Cool colors are blue, green, white, pink, purple and similar tones while warm colors are red, orange, yellow, brown, black and similar tones. Warm colors energizes the person whereas cool colors calms down a person in most cases. Individual differences always taken into consideration.
KNOW WHICH COLOR SAYS WHAT !!!
- WHITE COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
White color is the color of perfection and is associated with the successful beginning and faith.
In terms of cultural context, significance of white color differs. While in Western cultures, brides wear white gowns, but in South Asian cultures, white is worn in mourning situations.
2. GREEN COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Green signifies nature, thus growth. Sea green is a color of sea, thus signifies depth. It not only slows down your metabolism but also produces calming effect. Dark green is associated with the money.
3. RED COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Red is a color of blood and passion. Use of red color increases metabolism, blood pressure, respiration rate. It attracts attention, thus are used in traffic signals and is perceived as a danger in railway tracks.
4. BROWN COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Brown signifies nature, support just like the bark of a tree supports the tree. Brown represents mourning in some contexts.
5. BLUE COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
As ocean is blue, it signifies depth and calm.
6. ORANGE COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Orange is formed with the combination of red and yellow. It produces energy and happiness.
7. PINK COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Pink is considered to be a baby girl because of the tenderness quality it has.
8. YELLOW COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Yellow color is what is elicited by sun, thus it produces a warming effect, stimulates mental activity, generates mental energy.
9. PURPLE COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Purple is a color of extravagance, having spiritual sense of exotics, magic and prosperity.
10. GREY COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
11. BLACK COLOR SAYS WHAT !!
Black is associated with fear, dark and death. It relates to negativity (blacklist, black humor, black death).
|Power||Evil||Authority||Symbol of grief|
APPLICATIONS OF COLOR PSYCHOLOGY
Psychology is something that we don’t need to go to deep to observe its existence; just like any other science, we are surrounded by it. Similarly, the color psychology has a great deal in our surroundings and is applied in various situations.
- Since colors of brown, grey and blue relates to neutral, calmness, reliability etc; decors of corporate buildings are painted in these colors, but for someone who works in fashion and textile industry, the interior might be of brighter color to enhance creativity.
2. Taxi cabs, autos are painted in yellow so that they can be noticed from a distance because of high wavelength of yellow.
3. Food advertising companies while marketing uses yellow color quite often because it generates hunger among the consumers.
Cadbury chocolate wrappers are colored in purple as purple signifies royalty and lures the consumer to buy it out of need for prestige associated with the chocolate.
4. In architectural and interior designing fields, professionals recommend painting the walls in white color in urban flats to reduce the crowding effect as white symbolizes space (White walls make rooms appear bigger).
5. Hospitals are always painted in blue, green, purple or white to reduce the crowding effect and moreover; it brings calmness and positivity among the patients. No way, they should be colored in bright; that will energize the patients and increase their heart rate and blood pressure.
6. Black is a formal color that presents a class and thus in formal meetings, professionals carry themselves in black formal outfits most of the time so that other person takes them seriously.
The cars and gadgets in advertisements are of black color. This is done to show classy characteristic of that product to lure people: how could they not own it.
YOU MUST READ :
Comment on the section below on what you think about a particular color. Also, NOTIFY ME OF NEW POSTS BY EMAIL OPTION.